Established in 1971, The International Double Reed Society (IDRS) is a member-based organization made up of professional double reed players, amateurs, hobbyists, university/college instructors, music teachers, institutions, instrument manufacturers, double reed product retailers, reed makers, and enthusiasts.
- To encourage the performance of double reed literature.
- To encourage the improvement of instruments, reeds, and related materials.
- To encourage the composition and arranging of music for double reeds.
- To act as a resource for performers.
- To assist teachers and students of double reed instruments to attain a high standard of performance.
- To encourage cooperation and an exchange of ideas between the music industry and the Society.